A Swiss roll, jelly roll, roll cake, or cream roll, or Swiss log, is a type of sponge cake roll filled with whipped cream, jam, or icing. This one is small and perfect to finish in one day with your family without having to feel bad about it.
This recipe yields a small 18×24 cm sheet pan. Simply double the recipe for a normal sized sheet pan.
BAKERY SWISS ROLL CAKE RECIPE
- Swiss Roll
30g melted magarine (or oil)
3 egg whites + 3 egg yolks
1g Baking powder
100g heavy cream
4g vanilla sugar
1/2tsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp coconut flavored tapioca starch (or potato starch or cream thickener)
1tsp condensed milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 170° celsius.
Line your cake sheet pan with parchment paper.
Melt the butter
Separate the egg white from the egg yolk into two different bowls.
- Egg Yolk Mixture
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla extract, milk and melted margarine to the egg yolk and mix well . Sift through the flour and baking powder to the mixture beat on high until pale yellow with ribbons form. Set aside.
- Egg White Meringue
- Whip the egg white and, when large bubble rice, add and divide the sugar into 3 times and whip it to make a meringue with soft peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue to the yolk mixture, by gently folding the egg white in. Take the egg yolk mixture and add it to the remaining egg white bowl and gently mix again.
- Baking & Filling the Roll Cake:
- Pour the batter into a parchment lined pan., flatten the top, bang the pan twice to remove large air bubbles. Bake for 25-27 minutes in a 170-degree preheat oven. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean when it’s done.
Take out the cake, invert the pan onto a clean, slightly damp kitchen cloth, and remove the parchment paper from the bottom. Roll up the cake and hold it in place. Let it cool down
- After it has cooled down: Put the tapioca starch and powdered sugar in a bowl. add the heavy cream and whip it to make a thick cream.
Apply 1tsp condensed milk to the cake sheet, then apply the heavy cream evenly, and slightly thicken the cream at the beginning of the roll.
- Roll the cake up starting with the side that you put more cream on. Wrap it tightly in your baking paper and secure it with a rubber band to hold its shape if necessary. Let it rest in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Take it out of the fridge and cut both ends to showcase its true beauty. Snack on the ends you just cut off. Pipe on the remaining whipped cream (2tbsp) and the cherries. Enjoy!